Sunday, June 15, 2014

fathers.

Having heavenly parents has always made a lot of sense to me. Not because it's something my religion made up to make it feel natural and acceptable when compared to our social norms - but because our families here are patterned after our family in heaven.

In heaven and on earth we are made in their image, and we are their children.

So how do you get to know a Father in Heaven that you can't see. For me, it's been through prayer and understanding the love that my earthly father has for me. The relationship I have with my dad is a type of the relationship I have with my Father in Heaven.


This guy has taught me a whole lot and has always loved me.

Most of that teaching has been through his example:


Consistency. In living the gospel, in fulfilling responsibilities, in taking me home teaching, in there never being a question about whether we'd be going to church that week.

Hard work and diligence reward themselves. Never incentivizing me to do well in school, but expecting that I put my best effort into my studies, talents, and passions.

Meekness and humility. Being teachable, listening, never raising his voice at me, showing when to be patient and when to stand up for yourself.

Follow your passions. He has been following his own dreams for the last 15 years, and as a result I have been able to follow his example with my own goals and dreams. He never told me that art was stupid and that I'd never make money at it - he was supportive and just wanted me to be the best at what I cared about.

Dad jokes. I've worked hard to follow his example and achieve a similar skill set.


I think about these things I learned from my dad and his special way of showing love for me, it's not difficult for me to see how God loves me uniquely and individually.

I know not everyone comes into a situation where their father is supportive or caring, but I'm grateful that my earthly father emulates the love of my Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment